About Me

My photo
I'm a 29 year old photographer from Barrington,RI. I take photos of nature, wildlife, lighthouses, Rhode Island scenery, and other subjects. I like hiking,boats, fishing,the outdoors,music, photography... The Todd Stevens Gallery is at Frames of Mind in Seekonk, MA. You can also buy prints off my website http://www.toddstevensphoto.com and http://framesofmindseekonk.com/

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ruins of Wickeden Street

by Todd Stevens

I was driving down Wickeden Street (East Side of Providence) making may way to the I 195 and noticed that half of the overpass was missing above me. Since the new Iway was built in Providence they are knocking down old highways and exits to clear land for new development. I used to work at Campus Fine Wines in that neighborhood so I have been under it thousands of times.Its good that they are knocking it down because it was falling apart and it was dangerous. Some of the worst pot holes in the state were there. Homeless people would hold their signs under it next to the busy stoplight. The reason it will be missed is because it had a big mural on it.There are awesome paintings giving a new style to the classics. This modern mural has improvised art from Da Vinci, Van Gogh, Goya, Picasso, and Andy Warhol among others.
The other great aspect about these murals are there are colorful and funky ads of businesses from the community painted all over the walls and concrete pillars.Because this overpass is so old and raggedy, all the paint is peeling off in all directions which inspired me to photograph it. I thought it would be important to document this before it was completely demolished by bulldozers. Despite all the rubble, broken wood, twisted rerod, peeling paint, vulgar graffiti, and orange construction barrels, this place is a local landmark and it will be missed. I hope something will go back up and be equally creative. I like this side of Providence and I know that its important to the businesses, colleges,artists, and people who live and work in that area. My favorite pic is the one with the Hot Club and other businesses with the peeling paint. My friend goes there every Friday nightand he's getting a new picture in his office. Well enjoy these pictures because pretty soon this will be something else.

All Photos by Todd Stevens
www.toddstevensphoto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers