About Me

My photo
I'm a 29 year old photographer from Barrington,RI. I take photos of nature, wildlife, lighthouses, Rhode Island scenery, and other subjects. I like hiking,boats, fishing,the outdoors,music, photography... The Todd Stevens Gallery is at Frames of Mind in Seekonk, MA. You can also buy prints off my website http://www.toddstevensphoto.com and http://framesofmindseekonk.com/

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Pareidolia - Faces in the Woods

by Todd Stevens

I was taking a hike and taking pictures in Squantum Woods in East Providence,RI and I found a dead tree on the side of a trail. I looked inside the cavity and found many faces looking at me in the rotten wood.I saw all kinds of faces, some pretty, some creepy,lots of bearded men,some old men,big eyes,mother nature,a handlebar mustache,fairies,a leprechaun,lots of skulls, a few Indian faces,and an alligator. I first thought that I was seeing things but then I showed my friends in my photo club. They all agreed that I'm crazy but they saw the faces too and picked out a few that I missed. We all got a good laugh out of it. I did a Google search for "seeing faces in nature" when I got home and found pareidolia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia . Check it out, Its very interesting. For your best results make the slide show as large as possible and stare at it for a few minutes. You will find multiple faces in each picture. Have fun and use your imagination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

Pareidolia (pronounced /pærɪˈdoʊliə/) is a psychological phenomenon involving a vague and random stimulus (often an image or sound) being perceived as significant. Common examples include seeing images of animals or faces in clouds, the man in the moon, and hearing hidden messages on records played in reverse. The word comes from the Greek para- ("beside", "with", or "alongside"—meaning, in this context, something faulty or wrong (as in paraphasia, disordered speech)) and eidolon ("image"; the diminutive of eidos ("image", "form", "shape")). Pareidolia is a type of apophenia.


All Photos by Todd Stevens Photography

www.toddstevensphoto.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers